Tuesday, January 12, 2016

A New Year of Studio Visits!

a visit with SUZANNE NACHA




Tell us how you approach working at an artist residency and how that differs to working in your personal studio space? 


Residency work differs from studio work in a couple of ways. It's a more focused experience with fewer calls and less laundry. I'm also less likely to get high-jacked by creative tangents during a residency. I tend to bring with me only what I'll need for one or two projects and the simple lack of materials means that I'll stick to a process long enough to get beyond the obvious. 

What artist’s work is pushing/inspiring you 
creatively these days?

Lately I've been looking at the paintings of Edward Wadsworth, an English artist associated with Vorticism and one of the creators of Dazzle Camouflage. I am especially interested in his surreal seaside paintings in tempera from the 1930's and 40's. 


What themes reoccur in your work?

I'm not sure that you would call this a theme but something I always think about in relation to art making is how to translate an understanding of one's physical body in the world into imagery that resonates beyond specific cultural experience. I try to make images and objects accessible to anyone with a heart that beats and skin that yields. Anthropomorphism and humor always play a part. 





What is your biggest challenge in art making? 

Making final decisions and finishing things is my biggest challenge but having exhibitions and related deadlines tends to force my hand. 






Must-see/do/watch/read list for 2016?  

In 2015 I got halfway through watching all of the animated films of Hayao Miyazaki. In 2016 I will finish.
 
Thanks for the visit Suzanne!!

Suzanne's exhibition
minera-logic
continues at Loop until January 24th.
find more about her work here: